“How long should you try? Until.”
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to recent developments and updates please see this link for ways to Take Action For Tony:
The recent permit renewal on December 14, 2010 by The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries will not stop our campaign for Tony’s relocation to an accredited big cat sanctuary. Don’t let this inhumane decision by the the LDWF dissuade you from advocating for Tony –he needs your continued participation and support. When the LDWF showed the same lack of concern for Tony in December 2009, many may have thought Tony’s chance at a real home was lost, but this is an annual permit that must be renewed each year. Tony’s Facebook page was created in February 2010 with the hope of keeping Tony’s story “active” and with your great support – the battle for Tony’s release from the truck stop continues. Your persistent actions have kept Tony in the public’s eye, caught the media’s attention, gained the support of animal welfare organizations and that of people and celebrities worldwide. Tony will be forgotten, nor will we ever give up on him.
This “Take Action” information provides many ways you can be a voice for Tony and remain active in this campaign.
1. Sign and Share Tony’s Petitions – Petitions are a great way to keep Tony’s story active, people supportive and also demonstrate the vast amount of supporters Tony has all over the world who want to see him relocated to an accredited big cat sanctuary. Please sign the petitions and share them via email, Twitter and Facebook. There are easy sharing options at the links below.
Recent Petition on http://www.change.org LDWF: Ensure Tony The Tiger Is Released To A Reputable Sanctuary:
ALDF Sponsored Petitions:
Care2 Sponsored Petition:
2. Let The LDWF know your objections to the renewal of their permit and that Tony must be relocated to an accredited big cat sanctuary. Information for the key people to contact can be found here: http://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/for-tony-louisiana-contact-list/
Louisiana Residents: It’s vital for your elected officials, The LDWF, etc. to hear from their own constituents. So please take the time to write, email or call to tell them a tiger used as a roadside attraction in your state is unacceptable. Contact Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal with your concerns for Tony. See this post for information: http://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/contact-governor-jindal-4-actions-to-take-for-tony/
3. If you go to Tiger Truck Stop to see Tony document your visit with photographs or video and email them along with your personal statement to: Big Cat Rescue – Tampa Florida at MakeADifference@BigCatRescue.org Their mailing address is 12802 Easy St. Tampa, FL 33625. Please also post your pictures and videos of Tony on his Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/FreeTonyTheTiger
Your concerns for Tony’s health and welfare along with your photos should also be brought to the attention of the LDWF: Secretary Barham, Maria Davidson and Fred Kimmel. Their contact information can be found at: http://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/for-tony-louisiana-contact-list/
Also contact the USDA. From http://www.animalabuse.com : “Report Animal Abuse to USDA” It takes many years and many complaints to get the USDA to take action so it is important that you contact them with facts, photos, videos and information they can use.
USDA contact info at:
The USDA’s Investigative and Enforcement Services http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ies/contacts.shtml
If there are any veterinarians and experts who can attest to the detrimental effects on a tiger’s health caused by living at a truck stop provide your statements to Big Cat Rescue (Tampa FL)
4. Continue to network Tony’s story; share the links to his ALDF, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and WordPress pages and Big Cat Rescue’s (Tampa FL) FreeTony page along with the link to this post. Another great way to network for Tony is to add some or all of these links to the signature block of your outgoing emails. You’ll be letting people know about Tony with each email you send.
Links For Tony:
The Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Page For Tony: http://www.aldf.org/tony
The Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Video For Tony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaCM6QoWNd0
Tony’s Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/FreeTonyTheTiger
Free Tony The Tiger On WordPress: http://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/
Follow Tony On Twitter:
Tony On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/FreeTonyTheTiger
Tony’s Story: http://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/tonys-story/
Big Cat Rescue’s (Tampa FL) Free Tony Page: http://www.freetony.com
Big Cat Rescue’s (Tampa FL) Video “Tony The Truck Stop Tiger: Update” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gc00OiNh5w
Link To This Post: http://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/take-action/
5. An easy way to contact the newspaper media about Tony can be found at: http://capwiz.com/bigcatrescue/dbq/media/ Choose Louisiana, and then 5 newspaper contacts. Suggested newspapers: Advocate, American Press, Daily Advertiser, Shreveport Times, Times-Picayune. These are 5 of the largest newspapers (in terms of circulation) in Louisiana. Click on “compose message,” then select “compose your own letter” and click “next step.” You will then be able to write your letter about Tony to these 5 newspapers.
6. Have a Twitter account? Tweet for Tony. You never know who will pick up on Tony’s story. Follow FreeTonyTiger on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/FreeTonyTiger and TonyTiger2000 at:http://twitter.com/TonyTiger2000 Add the #FreeTonyTiger #FreeTonyNow #TeamTony tags to your tweets for him.
7. Louisiana television media contact list: http://www.mondotimes.com/world/usa/tv.html?state=18 Major stations like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC in Baton Rouge are suggested to contact.
8. Major media contact information for CNN, ABC, etc, can be found at: http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=111
9. Jane Velez-Mitchell featured Tony’s story on her show “Issues With Jane Velez-Mitchell” on November 12, 2010 http://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/2010/11/13/from-issues-with-jane-velez-mitchell-tiger-tug-of-war/ Please contact the show and ask for a follow-up on Tony now that the LDWF issued their permit. Use this online contact form: http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?106 or this e-mail: email@example.com On Twitter: http://twitter.com/issueswithjvm
10. www.change.org has been a strong advocate for Tony. Stephanie Feldstein included Tony as one of her favorite causes in her recent post: “Giving Voice to the Voiceless: Animal Activists of the Year. “ Please add your thanks and comments here: http://animals.change.org/blog/view/giving_voice_to_the_voiceless_animal_activists_of_the_year
11. Big Cat Rescue (Tampa FL), The Animal Legal Defense Fund, World Society For The Protection of Animals, World Wildlife Fund, are great supporters of Tony. A note of thanks to them and a request for their continued support would be appreciated:
Big Cat Rescue (TampaFL):
Online contact form: http://www.wspa-usa.org/pages/1976_supporter_inquiry_form.cfm
Online contact form: http://worldwildlife.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/worldwildlife.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php
Accredited sanctuaries are willing to give Tony the home and care he needs and deserves. It is imperative that Tony be relocated to such a sanctuary where he will have the opportunity to receive a life of peace and respect. The average life span of captive tigers who receive proper care is 15 to 20 years; for 10 years, Tony has been subjected to the detrimental elements of the truck stop, received inadequate care, and has been exploited as a roadside attraction. The lack of concern for his health and welfare is disturbing and shameful.
For Tony, please take a few minutes and participate in the above actions, and for the thousands of other privately owned tigers in the United States see this action alert from The Animal Legal Defense Fund: http://www.aldf.org/article.php?id=1801 and share this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLPJ3iR-ezg Deadline to submit comments is October 21, 2011.
Keep Roaring for Tony and these great cats who deserve our respect, protection and our advocacy on their behalf. Thank You.