Now, more than ever, your support and participation are urgently needed to help Tony. Very soon – December 14, 2010 – the decision to renew or revoke the annual permit from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries to Tiger Truck Stop will be decided. Renewal of this permit means Tony will be condemned another year to suffer at the truck stop. It’s very important for everyone to be active in the efforts to give him the home and life he deserves. Won’t you please take time today – and everyday – to support the following actions for Tony?
1. It’s important for the LDWF to know that we object to the renewal of this permit and that Tony be relocated to an accredited big cat sanctuary. Information for the key people to contact can be found at: https://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/take-action/ . Louisiana Residents: It’s vital for your elected officials, the LDWF etc. to hear from their own constituents. So please take the time to write, email or call them to let them know a tiger used as a roadside attraction in your state is unacceptable.
2. If anyone has been to Tiger Truck Stop and can provide eyewitness reports, photos and videos of Tony, or if there are any veterinarians and experts who can attest to the detrimental effects on a tiger’s health caused by living at a truck stop – please e-mail Big Cat Rescue – Tampa Florida at MakeADifference@BigCatRescue.org Their mailing address is 12802 Easy St. Tampa, FL 33625 Big Cat Rescue posted this on their www.freetony.com page as well as their blog http://bigcatnews.blogspot.com/2010/10/tony-truck-stop-tiger-permit-renewal.html and Facebook page. See the links for more detailed information.
3. Continue to network Tony’s story. Share the “Take Action” link http://tinyurl.com/urgent4tony with friends, family, any one and any place you feel it can gain support for Tony. This note will also be posted on Tony’s Facebook page to share.
4. An easy way to contact the newspaper media about Tony can be found at: http://capwiz.com/bigcatrescue/dbq/media/ Choose Louisiana, and then 5 newspaper contacts. Suggested newspapers: Advocate, American Press, Daily Advertiser, Shreveport Times, Times-Picayune. These are 5 of the largest newspapers (in terms of circulation) in Louisiana. Click on “compose message,” then select “compose your own letter” and click “next step.” You will then be able to write your letter about Tony to these 5 newspapers.
5. Have a Twitter account? Support Tony by just retweeting his tweets. You never know who will pick up on Tony’s story. Follow Tony on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/FreeTonyTiger
6. Sign and share Tony’s petition at: http://www.change.org/petitions/view/urge_the_ldwf_not_to_renew_tiger_truck_stop_permit
7. Louisiana television media contact list: http://www.mondotimes.com/world/usa/tv.html?state=18 Major stations like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC in Baton Rouge are suggested to contact.
8. In light of the coverage this past week about captive tigers in the United States by WWF and CNN, try contacting the major media. Major media contact information for CNN, ABC, etc, can be found at: http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=111
9. Network the new video for Tony by Big Cat Rescue, it has 14,000 plus views. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gc00OiNh5w
10. Continue to contact animal welfare organizations such as Born Free USA, ALDF, etc. about Tony. See https://freetonythetiger.wordpress.com/contacts/ Scroll down to Animal Welfare Organizations